Needing Support?

Self-Directed Support is not a separate entity or service, it is a way of accessing and using services, therefore West Dunbartonshire HSCP Eligibility Criteria for adult social care services remain the foundation for care managers to determine access to adult social care services and supports. West Dunbartonshire’s Eligibility Criteria are in line with the Scottish Government’s National Eligibility Framework.

If you, a professional or someone involved in your life believes that you might be in need of social care support the first step is to contact your local authority social work office.

If your circumstances indicate you are in need of support then a referral will be made to the appropriate service. You will be visited by a social worker or care manager who will carry out an assessment that will inform how much care and support is required to improve your health, wellbeing, social inclusion and independence while meeting your needs.


Being Assessed

The individual will carry out an assessment called the ‘My Life Assessment’ which will take account of your strengths and capabilities – the things you can do – as well as things you might need support. They may also speak to people who know you well to better understand your circumstances.

Our staff will discuss services and support options that will help you in the areas of your life where that need has been identified. This process will focus on outcomes which means we will work with you to identify specific areas of your life you’d like to improve, work together to identify services and supports to help you, and include ways of measuring whether and how things improve.

Some services may involve a cost – not all services involve a cost and not all people accessing services will require to pay a cost. A financial assessment will be completed to establish what your contribution, if any, will be towards the total cost of your support.  Paying for care 



Who to speak to?

You can discuss your circumstances with a West Dunbartonshire duty worker who will assess your need for an assessment by contacting your local HSCP social work office:

HSCP office in your area
Dumbarton and the Vale of Leven Old Kilpatrick, Dalmuir and Clydebank West Dunbartonshire residents

Adult & older People Integrated team
16 Church Street, Dumbarton
Tel: 01389 776499

Adult & older People Integrated team
Clydebank Health and Care Centre, Queens Quay Main Avenue

Tel: 01389 811 760

Acquired Brain Injury
Cairnmhor Resource Centre, Joint Hospital, Dumbarton
Tel: 01389 776499

Mental Health Duty
Riverview Resource Centre
Tel: 01389 812 070

Mental Health Duty
Goldenhill Resource Centre
Tel: 0141 941 4400

Learning Disability Service
Dumbarton Road, Clydebank
Tel: 0141 562 2334

Community Hospital Discharge Team
Vale Centre
Tel: 01389 828 200

Community Hospital Discharge team
Clydebank Health and Care Centre, Queens Quay Main Avenue, Clydebank

Tel: 01389 828220

Children Service
Aurora Place, Clydebank
Tel: 0141 562 8800

Sensory Impairment team
16 Church Street, Dumbarton
Tel: 01389 776499

Our staff are committed to supporting individuals who do not meet the Eligibility Criteria for our services to access the appropriate social care support, services or funding. Where appropriate, assistance and/or advice will be provided to individuals on how best to meet their needs which may include signposting and/or support to access services in their local communities.